Friday, June 10, 2005

Tower of Terror

I've had a phobia of rollercoasters since I was a little kid. I have no idea where this phobia stemmed from, but it was definitely there. A year ago I decided I needed to overcome my fear. My friends and I drove to Northern Idaho and went to Silverwood-the closest amusement park to us. The first ride everybody flocked to, was of course, one of the rollercoasters. I followed them all in and start waiting in the line. As we are waiting, I started to feel the tears running down my face. My stomach was in knots and I felt as though I needed to throw-up. My friends started asking me questions to make sure I was okay, I assured them I was, but the tears kept coming.

15 minutes later I strapped myself into the coaster. Justin (a friend) was sharing the seat with me. I started shaking and felt really, really dizzy. A worker asked me if I wanted to get off, but I told him I needed to stay on. As the ride started moving, I reached over and grabbed Justin's hand, my nails digging into him. I closed my eyes for the entire part up and the entire first drop. But then, I opened my eyes, realized it wasn't that bad, threw my hands up in the air, and enjoyed the rest of the ride. I enjoyed it so much, I rode it again.

I could have lived the rest of my life not riding a single rollercoaster....but I chose not to. I overcame my worst fear, and ended up having a total blast. It also prepped me for what I was to encounter on Spring Break.

For Spring Break, Host Dad, girl, boy and I all went down to Los Angeles. Along the way we stopped at Hearst Castle, and the Santa Monica Boardwalk. Our main adventure was Disneyland and California Adventure. At Disneyland we rode the major rides and saw some shows, but then we crossed over to the other park. We rode California Screamin' three times but saved the Tower of Terror for last. It was getting dark and our FastPass was almost up so we decided we better go stand in line for TOT. We waited about 40 minutes, and then climbed into the elevators. They played segments of videos as you traveled up the 13 stories. The doors opened as you were sitting at the top and you got to look over both of the parks. It was dark by the time we got up there and the view was gorgeous. But....it didn't last to long and they dropped us..and took us up....and dropped us. It was un-like any rollercoaster I have ever ridden, it gave you a very different feeling. I did enjoy it though, and if we had more time, I would have ridden it again.

A year ago I wouldn't even go on a log ride because I was afraid of it ( weird, I know!) and now I can say I survived the Tower of Terror.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:16 AM

    Congratulations to you! You know, if you have the courage and the drive to overcome a fear of roller coasters like that, you must have it in you to be successful at whatever you attempt. That's nothing but COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in 4th grade, the roller coaster had to be stopped at the top, right before the first drop. The restraint bar in the last car came unlatched and some guy had to climb up to the top to fix it. I remember it clearly... the teenagers in the seat behind my dad and I were saying, "Mom and Dad are going to KILL us... this was only supposed to take 15 minutes... Hey mister (to my dad) What time is it??" My dad's response: High noon. Get it?? High noon?

    It was funny at the time... although the didn't laugh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rollercoasters, too. I can see being afraid of them, though. Good for you for facing it - now look at all the fun you're having!

    ReplyDelete