Thursday, July 14, 2005

Oprah made me think of this

I had "plastic" surgery at the age of 16.

I like to think of it as reconstructive/cosmetic surgery. I had my nose broken as a child, probably from the numerous basketballs my brother chucked at my face. This caused my nose to become bumpy in some parts and rather weird looking. Most people didn't notice it, but I did. I started having breathing problems and eventually went to the doctor. He said my nose was slowly collapsing onto itself causing one of my nostril passages to be closed off. He told me that I would have to have surgery or else I wouldn't be able to breathe.

My mom scheduled the surgery for the Summer of 2003. I couldn't sleep the night before. I kept thinking about all the plastic surgery shows I had watched and thinking about them chiseling my nose down. BARF.

The morning came and I was nervous. We got to the waiting room and I started crying. I cry when I'm nervous or scared. They took me into the back room and made me put on those ugly, huge hospital gowns. They got me situated on a rolly cart and put the I.V. in. I kept crying because I was still scared. As they wheeled me into the room I said I love you to Mom, wondering If I would ever see her again. They made me transfer to the "cutting table". The only thing I really remember is the head rest was extremely squishy. I so wanted to take it home. They put some happy juice into my I.V. and off I slowly went to LaLa land. I mumbled something before I went under...something like "Wow! This stuff is good."

I don't remember waking up. They asked me if I wanted pain medicine and I accepted (stupid me!) Apparently Lortab and I don't get along. It made me so nauseous. I couldn't have anybody come near me because I would throw-up on them. They handed me one of those plastic kidney shaped little bowls to puke in and I laughed at them. Hand me the trash can please, my puke will never make it into this tiny bowl. I hadn't figured out that the Lortab was causing me to be the sick, so when I got home a few hours later I took another one. The same thing happenend so I quit taking my pain meds.

The recovery wasn't that bad. The pain wasn't that bad. My eyes were just really puffy and bruised. I'm sooo happy I had it done.

Now for the people who go a little crazy with the whole plastic surgery stuff. STOP! Your lips are not supposed to look like fish lips...thats gross. Go get some help because changing your outside will not change your inside...believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment