Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The road trip was fast, furious and really fun. We left a little later than we wanted to on Thursday night but we were still able to make it to the border of Pennsylvania. We slept in the car the first night at some rest stop. Actually Heather slept in the car and I tossed and turned the whole time.

Pennsylvania's roads were pretty much tore up all throughout the state. We would go through 15 miles of construction, get a one mile break and then another 15 miles. It made for a long day but we survived and passed into West Virgina. I was pleasantly surprised with this state. It was so green and beautiful. The people were interesting but the state was nice. Kentucky was beautiful too. Rolling green hills. We stopped in Lexington for some dinner and drinks. We were driving around and saw tattooed people sitting outside a bar so we decided to go there. They recommended getting a 'hot brown' from this restaurant down the street so we did. I had never heard of that but is is

"The Hot Brown is an open-faced sandwich of turkey and bacon, covered in Mornay sauce and baked or broiled until the bread is crisp and the sauce begins to brown. Many Hot Browns also include ham with the turkey, and either pimentos or tomatoes over the sauce...

sounds disgusting, but it was actually really good. We went back to the bar and got to hang out with the locals. There accents were so thick, it was funny to talk to them. They were nice but we hit the road again. I couldn't handle another night of sleeping or rather not sleeping in the car so we drove to Elizabethtown and I paid for a dumpy motel room. We went through Tennessee the next day and ate at Sonic and drove straight through Arkansas. From what I saw out of the car windows, Arkansas didn't look to pleasant.



We were going to stop in Oklahoma city to do the dinner and drinks thing again but right as we were coming into the city we got hit with a huge storm. The rain started and it was pretty heavy so people started stopping underneath highway overpasses. I kind of laughed at them, and we kept driving. Then the hail hit. The hail was hitting the car so hard we though the windshield was going to break. We got off the highway and stopped on a little driveway into an apartment complex. The complex was chained off so we couldn't go any farther. About 5 minutes later the street was completely flooded and we needed to get out of their before we were stuck. Heather had to jump out and make sure the car wasn't on the chain while I backed up into a gigantic water puddle. It was insane and we were both shaking by the end of it. We made it to Oklahoma City and had dinner and drinks at some local dive, The Biting Sow. We walked around after trying to find some hipper places but they all charged a cover fee. It was crazy, you walked into a bar that had 3 whole people in it and they wanted a $7 cover fee. Boston doesn't even have those so we just watched some street performers and hit the road again. We got a hotel again and ate at some cute diner the next morning. I thought Oklahoma was gorgeous. Flat, rolling hills with lots of wheat. Reminded me of Western Montana. Huge skies were you could see for miles, I loved it.

We drove through Amarillo in the morning and stopped at the Cadillac Ranch on the way out of town. We also stopped at the biggest cross west of something. The jesus billboards, jesus radio stations and jesus gas stations were all a little much for me. Actually it made me quite uncomfortable. I'm all for freedom of religion but don't push it down my throat and anyone else that happens to drive down the road. They have to realize that not everyone believes in the same religion they do, right? Probably not. We then got to New Mexico. We were both extremely tired at this point so we just drove around Albuquerque. We stopped to have some real Mexican food and I'm still thinking about it. It was delicious.

We also grabbed a coffee before Heather dropped me off at the airport. She still had three hours to drive so I had her drop me off around 10 pm even though my flight wasn't until 6 am. I thought I would be able to sleep. I thought wrong. I pulled an all nighter and I'm still paying for it. My body didn't know what the hell was going on.

Now I'm trying to get back into somewhat of a routine. I feel so off with changing jobs and school ending. I have more busy weekends ahead but then hopefully it slows down so I can get back to normal.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That was quite the road trip. Sounds like you guys saw a lot - that is awesome! I totally know what you mean about Sonic - not sure where/when you talked about it but the commercials on the TV all the time, but they are NO where to be found near us. I was craving them so badly when I was pregnant...I wanted a slushy so bad. hahaha. Anyway, sounds fun. Makes me want to go on another road trip. Argh...I wish you lived closer! Maybe I can convince Joe to go to Boston sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete